Monday, July 9, 2012

Water From Bethlehem

Isn't it neat when you find you have something in common with a king. I just found out I have something in common with King David. You see, after moving to Marianna 8 months ago we have had city water. I HATE city water. I don't even like the taste when you cook with it. So, we have to buy many bottles and jugs of water. I used to LOVE the water at Carmel where we pastored. I would give anything to have some of that water everyday. It came from a well and it was so good. Of course that was in the community of Bethlehem.

I found a scripture in 2 Samuel 23:8-17 where it is talking about David's mighty men and how he was taking refuge from the battle with the Philistines and they were holding up in Bethlehem. David made the statement, "Oh, that someone would give me a drink of the water from the well of Bethlehem, which is by the gate." See we both would love to have some water from Bethlehem!

The difference? He had 3 of his mighty men who overheard him and they risked their lives to go into the enemies camp and get him some water. No one has offered to go to Bethlehem and get me some water. I should have taken my own jugs and got some this past weekend during the reunion. Anyhow, when the men returned with the water David would not even drink it, he poured it out before the Lord. NOT ME! Get me some and watch me drink it.

There are many ideas on why David would not drink the water. He thought about how the men risked their lives for water for him, he was convicted for having water that the rest did not have, he felt bad about desiring something so foolish that He didn't need because he had other water. Anyhow, he didn't drink it.

You know I have other water to drink, but it is not the same. It is the same with the Jesus, the Water of Life. Many people have tasted other and are drinking other but there is nothing that will satisfy your thirst like Jesus. He is that water that you can drink and you will never thirst again. You will be satisfied, you will quit looking, you will quit desiring anything else. I encourage you today to drink from His fountain. Let your thirst be quenched in Him.