Wednesday, July 11, 2012

How much does it cost?

I remember when Tommy and I were dating, he lived with the Lowerys at the parsonage and I lived with my brother, Dewey, and his family. We started building a house when we were engaged to move into after we were married. We had to sit down and count our money, talk to the builders and see if we could even afford to build it. We did and Tommy moved into it on Wednesday before we were married on Saturday. I was reminded of the scripture in Luke 14:28 where it speaks of what man intending to build a house or a tower doesn't sit down first and consider the cost if he will have enough to finish it. I have never thought of this scripture like this but I believe God showed me something different today. How many of us when we were thinking about getting married and building a family sat down and thought about what it would cost us? I am not talking about monetary things, but the cost of time, sacrifice, giving up selfish pleasures, old habits, childish ways, things that we wanted, things that we thought would make us happy, things of the world, etc. I don't think some people counted the cost, they just started building and then they decided they didn't have enough of what it takes to finish it, to see it through to completion, to hang in there when it gets tough and tight, to say, As for me and my house we will serve the Lord, to say it doesn't matter what the world is doing or my friends are doing I am going to do what is right for my family. I counted the cost and I want to see it completed. I think we need to recount the cost each day. We need to say God you know what it will take in my life to have the family you want us to have, for me to be the mother or father, husband or wife I need to be, let me count the cost and do what is necessary to complete the work you have started. The next verses go on to say after he has laid the foundation and then can't complete it that people begin to mock him. Rest assured if you don't have what it takes to hold your family together, to stay committed to that spouse, to be a faithful spouse, to be a loving parent, then the devil stands ready to mock you. Don't let him have that opportunity. Count the cost and know that with God's help you will see the house be built unto completion and it will stand strong on a firm foundation until Jesus comes.