Tuesday, June 12, 2012

What Have People Heard About You?

Well, hello again! No, I didn't fall off of the face of the earth, but it did get real busy there for a while. I am back now, maybe not everyday, but I will do my best to stay in touch. I am sure you remember the stories of Daniel and what a mighty man of God he was. The story in Daniel chapter 5 speaks of King Belshazzar making a feast for all of his people and he brought in the vessels of God from the temple and they drank from them and worshipped the gods of gold, silver, bronze, iron, wood and stone. Then the fingers of a man's hand appeared and wrote on the wall. The king was scared, but none of his soothsayers could interpret what it said. So he called for Daniel to come and when Daniel came the king said to him, I have heard of you, that the Spirit of God is in you, and that light and understanding and excellent wisdom are found in you. Daniel, of course, interpreted the writings (which is a message within itself). But my question to you and to myself is what have people heard about us? WHen someone says, Oh, I have heard of you, we automatically begin to wonder what they have heard. Was it good or bad? We try to think back to what we have done that they would know about or how they would know about it. We will even drag up old past failures in our minds just trying to figure it out. But if we lived a life like Daniel we would not have to worry about it. He was a man who lived in obedience to God, even though he had been taken slave he didn't eat the kings meat and drink the kings drink. He kept his life pure and holy. He prayed 3 times a day even when it could cost him his life. But God was faithful to Him because He had been faithful to God. When people meet us can they say I have heard of you, the Spirit of God is in you and light and understanding and excellent wisdom are found in you? SOme might question the excellent wisdom, but I sure want them to say that the Spirit of God is in me. Not the spirit of flesh, not the carnal spirit, not a hateful, attitudal spirit, not a negative spirit, but the Spirit of God. Lord, please help us to live our lives that men may see you in us and you may be glorified.