Monday, August 27, 2012

Isaac? Whose Isaac?

Have you heard the name Isaac lately? Just about everywhere! We are in storm mode here in Marianna. Tommy is so excited, someone gave him a radio today. They must have seen him twitching since he didn't have the ones from Holmes County. Groceries are stocked because we always have to cook a lot when it storms. Granny and Olivia are here with us so the trees won't fall on them at their house. (They forgot we have trees too) Grocery shelves are cleaned off, gas stations are full, people are evacuating, some just leaving and going north to miss the weather, all because of Isaac. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed it isn't even raining? Oh well.

Enough about that Isaac. I was thinking of another Isaac today. Abraham's son. You know the one God told Abraham to sacrifice. We always preach and teach about Abraham and his faith and how he took Isaac up the mountain after telling his servants to wait at the bottom of the mountain and that he and his son would go and worship and return to them. He knew God would take care of Isaac. He didn't understand it all, but he obeyed.

Well, look at Isaac though. He was old enough to understand that they had the wood, the fire, and everything to make the sacrifice, except the sacrifice. He asked his father about it and Abraham responded, God will provide. I don't believe Abraham had to trick him or tie him up and put him on the altar. But I do believe Isaac had to trust his father a great deal, believe His words, believe what he had been taught, believe His God, and he also had to be obedient. He puts his all upon the altar in faith believing that God would provide, God would work a miracle, God would be with them, and he was right.

When was the last time we put our all on the altar in obedience to God and said, Lord, I don't know everything about the plans you have for my life, but I trust you. I trust what I have been taught , I trust what your word says, I trust what I feel the Holy Spirit speaking to my life and I will be obedient to you. You will take care of me. You are my provider. My Everything.

So in the midst of this storm as we keep hearing the name Isaac, I challenge you to do a self examination and see if you are truly trusting God with your everything or if we are depending on our own strength or abilities. Brush the dirt off of the stones of the altar, pick up the bottom of your robe, lay yourself down, and rest in the assurance that God is in control. HE WILL PROVIDE THE RAM.
He will provide your escape. He will provide peace, He will provide whatever you need. Trust HIM!